Sunday 8 June 2014

Louis Vuitton under Nicolas Ghesquière

After watching 2 runway shows from LV's new creative director, I cannot help but miss Marc Jacobs terribly. It is not that Nicolas Ghesquière's collection is terrible. In fact, far from it. But, I cannot help but thinking that LV's new direction is so different, the brand might alienate its many loyal customers.

The fall/winter 2014/2015, Nicolas Ghesquière's debut collection for LV, to me looks like something that is usually reserved for its pre-collection. It is boring and safe... mundane. I do not see anything to rave about. No oomph,. Classy, yes. Luxe, yes.. but boring, somehow.  But, then again.. I am not a girl. lol

The whole thing looks to me, very Balenciaga...but more lux. Technically superb... I like some of the designs, like the 2nd dress from the right. Looks like feathers.. but it is not. And the soundtrack from the runway, is apt... Copy Cat from Kelis. Many of Nicolas Ghesquière's creation has been copied by other designers... But somehow... the sum of its parts does not make a whole.

Also, the new logo on many of the invite. What's up with that. (Oh.. I was invited to the fall/winter women's event)


And the bags... don't even get me started.  If the clothes looked like Balenciaga, the bags are even worse. Some of them looked like rejects from Tods... I was told that the inspiration of that particular bags was from its archives.. I think some things are meant to be in the past and not dug up. The Petit Malle though is not part of that list. I like it. A very nice clutch, beautiful to look at. and classy.




Me thinks that change is good, inevitable, every new designer wants to put his stamp, his trademark on a brand. And LV does not have a RTW heritage, unlike Dior, Chanel.. but somehow, I grow up with Marc Jacobs and LV. It seems that the past 17 years never happened, Marc Jacobs and LV never happened. I love his collaboration and fascination with the art world, and the many artists that collaborated with him and LV. Stephen Sprouse, Takashi Murakami, Richard Prince, Kanye West and Yayoi Kusama are some of the artists involved. The stuff that came out of that collection is fantastic. I just love them.. Unfortunately, I only have 1 piece.. Oh well..

Anyways, I do not know if this particular change is good, or bad. Only time will tell.
Languageses>en YahooCEerror
left

No comments:

Post a Comment